MiGen Transactive Grid
For the electricity grid to grow and evolve it needs to move away from a traditional, centralized system to one that is supplemented by consumers and communities. Hydro Ottawa’s MiGen Transactive Grid is a trial project that represents the future energy marketplace – one in which consumers generate more of their own power, store electricity, share with connected neighbours and send excess energy back to the grid.
MiGen is a complete end-to-end microgrid that optimizes management of energy sources and loads using Artificial Intelligence and a Transactive Energy Market. It will also include a loyalty program to encourage customers to make sound energy management decisions. MiGen promotes consumer-generated renewable energy, effective grid management, and resiliency.
The benefits are many:
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and achievement of net-zero carbon communities
- Greater resiliency and flexibility of the electricity grid with the adoption of solar energy battery storage, and smart technology
- Ability to support increased demand
- Reduced investment in traditional grid infrastructure
- Fosters continued innovation
MiGen started with partial funding from the Ontario Smart Grid Fund and the LDC Tomorrow Fund, plus support of seven collaborating academia and industry partners. New partners have joined the MiGen Team to grow the platform capability. Learn more at hydroottawa.com/MiGen